+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: antique refrigerator repair

Thank you Phil for your suggestion. I've been on the look-out for all sorts of potential sources of know-how, especially hobbyists, retirees, even instructors at appliance schools who might do work on the side. I'll add "signs of life" as you describe ham radio enthusiasts. The refrigerator is the only one I've been using every day for about 30 years now -- it's not just a "collectible" or conversation piece.... I'm far from letting it go out to pasture!

" I'm far from letting it go out to pasture!"

Now a day the "pasture" is China.

All USA junk appliances and metal ends up in China's landfills - some become pot metal and are born again as something else.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    There is an antique appliance repair company located in Clayton Georgia.
    Thank you "HoustonRemodeler" -- I contacted antiqueappliances and talked to two great guys who identified the start/run relay that is newly made to fit, and it's being sent to me. They also provide assistance by phone to whomever I'm able to locate locally who is able and willing to do the rewiring, but may be somewhat unsure of doing so. Thanks to all of you who responded to my question!

Is the motor sealed or is it part of the compressor, If no then you could have the motor rewound at a electric motor rewinding shop.

Unhappy Re: antique refrigerator repair

Thank you for your suggestion. The compressor is sealed. I was able to obtain the replacement part (start/run/relay?) from antiqueappliance.com, but am still in search of someone to do the rewiring. I did have an instructor from a technical/appliance repair school come by last week, and he had trouble with making the connections. He said he would return with someone who may be able to open up another capacitor-type compartment attached to the base of the compressor. But I have yet to hear back from either one of them!