+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default antique refrigerator repair

Might anyone know how to fix or whom to call to have an antique refrigerator's dried/cracked wires replaced? I've called numerous individuals and service companies for appliance repair and haven't found anyone who is interested, willing and able to repair my 1930s GE refrigerator, which I've had working very well for 25+ years. The motor and capacitor are in good working order -- it's just the wiring that needs replacement. Thanks!

Default Re: antique refrigerator repair

The appliance repair places are actually telling you to dump this fridge.

However, if you have your mind set on replacing the wiring, try calling "old time" electricians, who are not stressed on time. One may be willing to come out of retirement and to do it for you.

They don't build them to last like that anymore do they.
    It seems to me that any appliance repair person could handle that. Maybe their is a liability issue they don't want to deal with or the time involved would be hard to recoup with what they feel they can charge.

There is an antique appliance repair company located in Clayton Georgia.

Thank you for these replies - yes, it's true that the "just dump it" response is all too common, along with the misconception that such an antique appliance is not energy efficient and costly to run. My monthly electric bill is actually about $30/mo for all electricity, and from what I've been reading the antique refrigerators are not as energy inefficient as generally believed. I have been asking around quite a bit for a retiree and even called a trade school in Canton to ask if there was an instructor who did work on the side.... waiting to hear back. I'm not going to give up on this oldie but goodie easily! Thanks again.

Please let us know what happened in the end.

will let you know... thanks!

This may seem a little off the wall, but you might look for antique radio repair guys.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You're right, really old refrigerators may actually be more efficient than middle-aged ones. Your old refrigerator probably has an ammonia-based or another, toxic refrigerant. In the 1950's, due to concerns of toxins and breakthroughs in technology that made the manufacture of CFCs inexpensive, refrigerator manufacturers switched to CFCs, primarily R-12. The CFC refrigerants were less energy efficient than the earlier refrigerants, but cheaper and non-toxic and in some cases, non-flammable.

Then along in the 1980's, environmental concerns for the ozone layer and potential for contributing to global climate change caused a switch away from CFCs (Chlorinated Fluorocarbon) to HFCs (hyrdrofluorcarbons) primarily, R-134a, which is somewhat more efficient. This also coincided with a drive for greater energy efficiency, which in the case of refrigerators mainly was achieved through the use of better insulation.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

If you still have trouble finding someone to do this, look around for older guys driving cars full of antennas with a Ham Radio license tag and ask them. We generally love doing things like this or have a close friend who does. That level of wiring is simple compared to what we usually play with and most of us are quality freaks too so you'll get a good job done Nothing like keeping oldies but goodies in good operating condition (even if you don't actually use them much anymore).

Phil