+ Reply to Thread

Default Tin Roof (circa 1903) - Life expectancy?

Seeking any information on the life expectancy of a tin roof (circa 1903). Roof is painted, has some rust spots and has some patches. We have fixed a few random leaks in the seams. How long should we expect this to last? Anything particular we need to do to maintain? and is it recommended to replace? If replacing, is it recommended to remove and replace or can you put a new metal roof over the current structure?

Default Re: Tin Roof (circa 1903) - Life expectancy?

If you are saying that your metal roof is 111 years old, I'd say you are so lucky, but this roof can't stay up there for too much longer.

When replacing it, I'd remove it and send it to China. This will also give you a chance to inspect your framing, spot water damages, maybe replace some lumber too and above all make sure your deck is in perfect condition and attached properly (straps and nails).

There are some slate roofs that old, but I doubt if there are many metal ones that survived that long.
    The roof has performed above and beyond what can be expected.
    Removing and replacing would be best. It will give you a chance to inspect the deck and framing. Chances are you have purlins with a foot or two or more on center. Local codes may want that replaced with a plywood deck and felt. The metal roof manufacturer or roofer may want that for a warrantee too.

You've gotten every last penny out of that roof.

Kiss the ground and buy a lottery ticket before hiring a Pro to replace it.

Standing seam terne metal roofs can be maintained indefinitely, if you're willing to keep up the painting schedule.
    I live in a region where tin roofs are ubiquitous; my house has three metal porch roofs all dating to about 1906. I lived in a brick house for a few years that had an 1850's metal roof; the edges needed to be replaced because they had weathered away, but it's always possible to add new metal. (it's just not particularly pretty)
    But if the roof has had coating or tar applied, then it has in fact reached the end; coatings are evidence that it is pinholed to a large extent, and tar is acidic and hastens the decline.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.