+ Reply to Thread

Default Interchangable cast iron radiator?

My 1920's house has hot water heat. The radiators are all the same style, although the sizes are different. The style is very common, and it was obviously a standarized, mass produced design. I am under the impression that this particular style of radiator (sorry I don't have a photo) can be used for either steam or hot water, and depending which type of system it serves, different appurtenances are used. For hot water, there are two pipe connections at opposite ends and a bleed key. Well, we're re-doing the bathroom and I want to add a new radiator to the system. I found a radiator in the salvage yard that's exactly the right size and design, but it has the attachments for steam. The openings/fittings all screwed on and off at one time, and with enough paint remover and will power, the unneeded openings should be able to be closed and the needed ones opened. My first question is, are there some types of radiators that are indeed interchangeable and is my supposition correct? And my second question is, even if it's possible, is it a huge headache, and would I be better off scouting more salvage yards to find another raditor with the fittings I need already in the right places?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Interchangable cast iron radiator?

They are interchangeable. But if it was used for steam and you need to replace the fittings that can become a problem. I would suggest that before you perches the radiator have the fittings removed.
    John

The next trick will be finding a plumber who knows how to handle these rads.

Find the plumber with the grey-est hair......

That be me.
    John