+ Reply to Thread

Default Do under floor electric heating mats count as main heating source for the room?

Hello all, I'm hoping someone here has an answer to my question, as the two contractors we asked weren't sure. We are remodeling a 1946 home's bathroom (pretty small, about 7x9 or so), the walls will be completely insulated inside and out. We want to put in under floor heating mats under our tiled floor and we need to know if that will count as heating for the room or if we must put in another heating source. The contractor we talked to said that all rooms in a house above a certain area must have a heating source, including the bathroom and they weren't sure if the under floor heating counted as such. We live in Oregon. Please advise if possible! Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Do under floor electric heating mats count as main heating source for the room?

Your area realtors and building inspector will know for sure

Default Re: Do under floor electric heating mats count as main heating source for the room?

Check with your local Building codes department. I'd think that as long as it was rated to run continuously it would suffice but they will have the definitive answer.

Phil

Thanks to the people who replied.

I believe they are capable. The drawback is when the unit fails from a discontinuity. It is not serviceable without tearing up the tilework. You would be wise therefore to have a fallback position; make provision for another heat source.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

In Canada we do it all the time. You need enough floor area for heat out put to be equal to or greater than the heat loss from that room. Some times we will even go up a wall to get more heating surface. Call up a contractor that installs this type of system and get him to have a look. BTW it is very important once this in floor heating system is installed Not to put carpets in the bathroom.