+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question When to paint new construction

I have received conflicting advise on painting the interior walls of our new house. Some say wait 1 year because of the nail pops. Others advise to paint before we move in. What is the best way to go?

Default Re: When to paint new construction

I would prime and paint before I get the CO (Certificate of Occupancy).
    I wouldn't worry about nails popping out, because I only use drywall screws.

Paint before moving in and before finish floors are installed if possible. Nail pops can be taken care of anytime. Be sure to save paint and label what room it is used in.
    Somebody is confusing waiting to stain pressure treated wood with painting drywall. (This is one of the silliest suggestions I've heard in a while. Do you really want to live for a year with bare drywall and spackled joints?)

I guess I wasn't very clear. The house is new construction but the builder only applies white paint to all walls. Thanks for you advise.

Well that certainly makes more sense.
    Painting before you move in is a lot easier, but it's up to you.
    I wouldn't worry about nail pops. You will get them no matter how long you wait. I still get get an occasional pop after 20 years. You will probably get more in the first year, but they should be covered by the warrantee. Saving paint and the color will help any patches.
    Any nail pops I get I repair with screws. Even if it means I pull the nail out and put a screw next to the original since pulling out the nail sometimes enlarges the hole too much.
    Last edited by ed21; 06-11-2014 at 02:14 PM.

If you are not satisfied with the paint grade and quality of work done by the builder, then have the place repainted before you move in, it will be easier and cheaper for all involved. Stick with a good quality, name brand paint, apply two coats.

As was said, make sure that all paint is labeled as to what it is, room specific if necessary. (example: interior wall, trim, bathroom, etc. )

Clean, well sealed cans of paint will store for several years.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!