+ Reply to Thread

Default Silicon "Caulk" in a Tub???

Okay, so I have a dilemma. I have gaps forming around my concrete foundation (slab) and the wood framing. I want to seal them up to prevent drafts/insects. The problem is that I have stucco exterior which extends down past where the two materials meet, making the use of a caulk gun impossible. Since the ground is close, there's no way to get the straight caulk gun up and into that narrow passage to the gap. I thought about that blowing in some of that expanding spray foam, but I've heard it's a very bad idea to seal up stucco as it will trap the moisture and cause rot. So, it appears that my best option is the painfully slow process of getting some caulk on my gloved fingers, and reaching up into the gap and smearing it over the cracks where the materials meet. I have two questions

1) Is silicon construction caulk the best thing to use, and does that come in a tub so that I don't have to squeeze it out of the tube via caulk gun onto a tray then wipe it up with my finger??

2) Does anyone have any better ideas? Because this is going to be no fun at all

Default Re: Silicon "Caulk" in a Tub???

Sealing between the footing and the sill plate should have been done in the framing stage, when walls were being erected. What can you do now? maybe seal from the interior.

Get caulking that has lifetime guaranty, doesn't have to be silicone.

Yes, it was my thought that a sort of gasket/foam layer would have been laid down between sill plate and foundation, but I'm not so sure. My house has had some settling, so that there is a gap between baseboards and wood floors in some places, and this past winter, I noticed that the wood floors were like ICE cold, and walked up to the gap under the baseboard only to feel a steady stream of cold air blowing out! One of the problems with sealing from the inside is that it seems that I'd have to take off the baseboards in order to get down in there really good and some of the baseboards are beautiful originals, that are stuck on really good, so I don't want to break them trying to take them off.

Construction Sealant. Something without Silicone. It has been my experience that it isn't the best stuff for exterior applications. Look for Polyurethane.

when trying to reach hard to reach places, we add some clear tubing to the end of the nozzle then caulk as usual. You might want to add some strong tape to the nozzle - tube joint to prevent separation.

The best way would be to pull the baseboards as that will get you to the work areas most directly. I've used Houston's "tubing" tip on several occasions myself. Use good duct tape where the tubing goes onto the spout and squeeze slowly being ready to stop if the tubing kinks- if that connection slips off it makes quite a mess\ but it does work! If you don't prefer silicone, I'd recommend using this: http://www.siroflexinc.com/duo-sil.php

It is a urethane-amended caulking that has exceptional adhesion properties and is very durable as well.

Phil