+ Reply to Thread

Default Floor suggestions

I'm looking for suggestions on flooring material for the entryway in the garden level unit, 6 stairs down from street level. It is damp, not heated or air conditioned, but is enclosed behind an exterior door. I live in New York City. The area is only 20 square feet but has a trap door with some plumbing, which must be left accessible. There is also a non working radiator with pipes which the flooring will have to fit around. A contractor said laying tiles, would be a couple thousand of dollars, suggesting a DYI floating vinyl plank that can be lifted to get at under trap door if necessary. I was also researching rubber tiles. I want it to look nice as it's the first thing see on entry and easy to install as I am now DYI, durable and easy to clean. I appreciate any ideas or experience on products available. Thank you.

Default Re: Floor suggestions

Tile it yourself.

If your tile man wants 2K to tile 20 sf, I wonder what he would charge to tile the waiting area in the Taj Mahal...

I spent some time last weekend viewing the builders Parade of Homes in our area. Many of the very high end houses had a finish on the garage floor that was attractive. I believe it was epoxy paint with something mixed in - color flakes - to give it a decorative finish as seen in this article: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...174654,00.html

If you are going over concrete, this might be an option.

I should add the concrete subfloor does have plywood somehow bolted on top. The trapdoor is plywood lying on top of some metal frame. The concrete paint idea got me looking into painting plywood. My plywood is not in good shape but paint is worth further consideration. And I had seen something similar to the teak tiles which I considered, but wondered about cutting to fit corners and around pipes. Any experience working with those teak tiles?

Well - just about anything can be painted

I did a quick look under "painted plywood floors" and found several articles, one by TOH original Bob Vila.
    http://www.bobvila.com/articles/pain.../#.U5aLDSh-TnY

There were others. Some use painters tape to create designs on the floor to help detract from the seams in the plywood and one suggested not to use too high a gloss finish because it highlights all the imperfections. One suggested two coats of oil base primer - and sanding between coats before the final coats.

i've done several balconies/patios with the wood tiles. the come in other woods besides teak. they can be drilled through, cut on angles, etc. i thought it might be a good idea because you can easily take them up if you need access below. they site on a grate system so that water can flow easily beneath them.