+ Reply to Thread

Default No Weep Screed EIFS Stucco

Hi all,

In trying to determine whether or not I need to be concerned here. My EIFS stucco has no weep screed at the bottom, in fact, it has nothing at all. I can just reach my hand right up under and feel the layers of the EIFS. My question is, won't trapped moisture still drain out even with a weep screed? Since nothing on the bottom is patched or sealed, just open, won't water still drip out of he bottom without a piece of metal there? Is a weep screed only of you want to patch it so there's no gap?

Default Re: No Weep Screed EIFS Stucco

Weep screeds are required on all EIFS coatings.
    If no weep screed can you see or feel the EPS board if so your EIFS does not meet code or manufactures installation instructions.
    Also check with your termite bonding company it is required to be no less than 6 inches above grade and have a termination bead or weep screed , most are plastic beads or screeds.
    If no screeds or if not back wrapped bugs will use the EPS board as a supper highway to access your wall.

So, is there a good solution to this problem?

Who and when installed your stucco?

You have to have a screed, I don't even know how the stucco stays up there without it.

If you want to do it yourself:

Since the screed goes on first, before the house wrap, before the stucco netting and before the 3 layers of stucco, you will need to remove a few inches tall of all of the above all around the house (where there is no screed), remove all nails (blue nails and stucco nails), clean and get the area ready.

Then attach the new screed. You can use roofing nails.

Next, install two layers of 60 minute tar paper or house wrap, making sure it goes UNDER the existing tar paper or wrap where you cut it. Next is the netting and after the netting you are ready for stucco.

What manufactured product do you have installed? Dryvit,STO, Senergy, Master Wall, Pryex, or Finestone?
    If you know contact that manufacture for recomended repairs reqiured.
    Also find out if the applicator of the EIFS was trained by the manufacture.
    Do you have a warrany?
    If the system was installed in the past 12 years it maybe covered under warranty if installed by a certified applicator.

Thanks for the replies. The house just turned 50 and to my knowledge the stucco is original, not 100% though. Unfortunately I'm not able to upload any images, not sure why. I'm pretty sure there is no weep screed, when I look up under with a mirror I just see the layers of EIFS. I know this does not paint the entire picture of my house, but I recently had a bad storm take down a tree limb which proceeded to fall on my power line and rip the power box from my house. It was embedded in the stucco and ripped off a patch of it. The plywood underneath did not show any signs of rot or damage. Again, I know it could be happening elsewhere, but it gives me hope that the rest might be okay.

Based on your house being 50 years old it is very unlikely that you have an EIFS product installed.
    If it is EIFS it would be more like the early 70's.
    In the 70's it was not required to have a weep screed with a EIFS cladding.
    It could also be installed below grade as per manufactures details.
    Plastic beads & screeds started to be used in the very early 80's.
    One of the first EIFS introduced in the US. was DRYVIT the base mesh was BLUE.