+ Reply to Thread

Default Remove or just cover old drywall?

I have some old 'textured' drywall that I want to replace. Is it better to (i) remove the old drywall first or (ii) have new drywall installed over the old drywall? One contractor I talked to recommended (i) because it's cheaper, but I wonder if this is really the best way to go?

thanks
    Last edited by zeke14; 06-08-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Default Re: Remove or just cover old drywall?

1 - Why does the drywall need to be replaced?
    2 - Overlaying, while acceptable, is going to create clearance issues around windows and doors.
    3 - Removal allows you to add insulation, check/add wiring and plumbing, etc. Starting from bare stud generally results in a better finish as well, since you are not going over the top of lumps and ripples that may be in the original drywall.

If it were me, I'd remove and replace, yes, this is messier and a bit more expensive IF you are not doing a portion of the work yourself, however, the finished product will be far better than an overlay.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    1 - Why does the drywall need to be replaced?
    Purely for aesthetics. The current walls are textured (some people call this 'orange peel'), which I don't care for much. I'm having other work done in these rooms (including removing a wall), so thought this would be a good time to get the walls into better shape.

Count me too to remove the existing drywall. It will also let you inspect the framing for termite damage or dry rot.

If all you want to do is get rid of the texture, then I'd suggest simply floating out the walls with drywall compound. This will be a relatively quick process that will be the least messy and least invasive. I have done this in more than one home where texture was an issue. Once the walls are floated smooth, or relatively smooth, you can then retexture to your liking or leave it smooth, just depends on your tastes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I second Spruce's advice. That orange peel texture is pretty much standard here in the Portland area. One of my friends, who also comes from Chicago flatwall country, hated it so much that he skim coated every room in his house to get rid of it. His wife, a native Portlander, thinks he is a little nuts. She may be right, but it does smooth out the walls!