+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aluminum Clad Wood Windows

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am replacing my original steel windows from 1949. I looked into restoration however it was much too pricey. The estimate was almost 40K for 18 windows.

So far the Jeld-wen Traditional Plus and the Pella Proline have come in around budget. I looked into Marvin but I cannot afford $1500 to $2000 a window. It looks like the Anderson offering is vinyl clad woood.

Thanks for you suggestions.

Kevin

Default Re: Aluminum Clad Wood Windows

If you have to work with a budget, disregard Marvin or Henderson. Jeld-Wen and Pella are decent contractor's grade.

However, don't compromise on labor and installation.

Like the old saying goes: An average window with excellent installation is better than an excellent window with so so installation.

That is a good point. This company has done work for a couple people I know and they think he is really good.

What would be the step above? I have read about Eagle, Kolbe and Hurd.

Kevin

I like Pella over Jeld-Wen, to me they seem to be more precisely built. I also like Andersen for the same reason. You won't go wrong with any of these. Vinyl-clad or metal -clad? I prefer vinyl for sunnier climes- metal gets awfully hot in the summer sun but not much difference really, and the metal may be more durable.

Ditto on the installation being the most important part- a great window poorly installed is a poor window that will not seal well or will bind when it should operate smoothly. A fair window well-installed will do great for many, many years. With double-pane glass even the slightest flexing of the sash on closing tight will cause the panes sealing to die sooner, or it can even break a pane- much touchier than single-pane windows! Check them all for operating smoothness before writing the check for installation, if any seem to bind demand that it be corrected before paying- a binding window means misalignment somewhere so it's a good QC check of the installation quality.

Phil

I like the alumimum clad since it keeps with my metal windows (steel).

My house gets a lot of shade due to the big oak trees in the yard therefore I think the I should be ok on them getting really hot. I guess I will see if that turns out to be the case.

Renewal by Anderson came out and they were tremendously expensive. It look like that had a different variantion than I looked at ******. For 18 windows it was 25K. I am not sure if one of the other brands (Eagle, Kolbe and Hurd) is some what reasonable.

Great advice for the install.

For your general information: all window manufacturers have to follow ICC window and door codes. What it basically means is a $2000 Anderson is built exactly like a $200 Pella to meet the same codes. So why pay more? Knowing this fact, you can start negotiating with the installers.

Like I said before, don't hesitate to pay more for the more experienced installer. Money well invested.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What it basically means is a $2000 Anderson is built exactly like a $200 Pella to meet the same codes.
    I have to disagree here. Just as with the building itself, codes and regulations are a minimum standard and can be improved on which the better window manufacturer's and builders will do. Cheap = cheap no matter the name and cheap will not outlast good, especially with windows and doors. Stay with a good grade from a good manufacturer; they are not all the same!

Phil

Phil, sorry for using the wrong word "exactly". Should have used: "Both Anderson and Pella are built to meet the same minimum code".

But the point remains the same: If you build with a budget, expensive windows will cause you to go over budget.

BTW, I've seen many expensive windows and sliders with mechanical problems. Not installation problems, but mechanical ones.

I know what you meant, I just wanted to sure our DIY friend didn't get the wrong idea then go buy cheap windows I've seen problems with top name brands too but they're rarer. Failed folding casement cranks top that list, then the crank mechanism, then double-hung balances, then weatherstripping issues, then latches. Some designs don't have sloped sills throughout, but only past the sash so that water still has a place to sit and cause rot. We did a whole site of Condo windows for that very reason awhile back- 21 buildings worth. You and I would see that design flaw but maybe not the average homeowner.

Top price doesn't mean best product or design, nor does cheap always mean worst. I've found that with most building products, mid to upper grades give you the best deal overall- better fit and materials with the features that matter most. Top-end usually means paying for visible 'bling' without any better fit or materials, and sometimes complex features that wear or fail with regularity. Good windows will not need replacing or repair in your lifetime if they are installed and maintained properly. Better to tweak the budget somewhere else and make room for them- in the end you'll be glad you did.

Do it once, do it right, and you won't need to do it again.

Phil

I decided to go with the Jeld-wen Traditional Plus. The company I am using to install them was referred by a co-worker that has used them in the past. In addition one of the guys that installed my central A/C has used them and was very happy with their quality of work.

Like have previously mentioned I would have really like to restore but it was have been extremely expensive sine they are in such bad shape.