+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding Interior Wall

I'm adding a non-loading bearing interior wall to accommodate a built-in electric fireplace. The new wall will run parallel to and 4" off center from an existing ceiling joist. Rather than adding blocking between joists (not easily accessible through the attic floor), I'd like instead to use a 2X8 as the top plate for the wall (i.e., make up the 4" offset with the wider structural plank.) Has anyone ever done this before? Would appreciate any lessons learned. Thanks.

Default Re: Adding Interior Wall

I've always ran blocks from joist to joist when adding a wall. If you can't access the joists from the attic, do it from the ceiling, then repair the drywall.

i agree with dj.....i would go with his recommendation. it's a piece of cake to patch a couple of spots in the ceiling.

Either way will probably work, but the recommended way will be stronger as it will positively prevent uplift of the top plate, whereas your method won't. Will that be a problem? I doubt it but anything is possible so you get to choose whether you think it's worth risking.

Phil