+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default trees growing in the roots???!!!

We have a Cleveland Pear tree that is approximately 8-9 years old. It has been sprouting little branches from the roots since the beginning. My wife is a trooper and been picking them a few times a year but we are both tiring of it. We don't know what to do. If this is going to be ongoing , we are prepared to take it down at this point and move on to something else (fire pit, waterfall), but we really don't want to. It does provide some shade in our year.
    Anybody???

Default Re: trees growing in the roots???!!!

I think that you have to put up with the branches growing in strange places. If you want to enjoy the benefits (shade, beauty and fruits) you must deal with the branches.

This article talks about this problem under the section called “warning”:

http://www.gardenguides.com/131766-l...ear-trees.html

It sounds like this becomes a problem when the roots are nicked and cut by the lawn mower. Once started it sounds like it doesn’t stop.

I have a Cleveland select pear and while I do cut off some sprouts that come up next to the trunk, it's not much of an issue for me. Compared to raking the leaves, or the fruit that falls on the driveway and grass that attract deer and the smelly flowers it doesn't take up much time.
    There is a product called sucker stopper that is sprayed on the roots that is supposed to control suckers. I never used it.
    Last edited by ed21; 06-07-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    There is a product called sucker stopper that is sprayed on the roots that is supposed to control suckers. I never used it.
    I second this. Either chemically treat to reduce the sprouts or remove the tree and plant one that isn't prone to such sprouts. There are a number of species that grow quickly and provide great shade that do not have such sprouting issues. Look into maple varieties as an option, among others.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The first thing every homeowner should learn about landscaping comes under the heading of "Invasive Plants".

I don't know the Cleveland Pear but I'd bet that is it's category because of that sprouting characteristic. Check your state or local Ag Dept website for tips on what you need to do and what you need to watch out for in your area. While many things do fine in one place, they may be a problem in others so no one list can cover everywhere. And some of the ones we like best may not be good choices where we are.

You want a yard to enjoy, not maintain. You might find a similar planting with better habits that will make you happy or perhaps you'll trade me for the mature Holly's in my yard which gripe me to no end. If I owned this place they'd be the first thing to go. They're nice trees, but not where they are located and something as simple as that can make all the difference in the world.

Phil