Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rabbits, Lots of Rabbits

Hi,

I've noticed lately that rabbits have been digging holes underneath the cedar fence that borders my yard and my neighbor's yard. My neighbor does not care that there are rabbits everywhere, but I sure do since I have dogs that do not like rabbits. The previous owners left behind a container of rabbit deterrent, but I am hesitant to use it because of my dogs. I was thinking of buring a stretch of chicken wire in the ground about 2' from the base of the fence out into the yard. Would this work? Is there anything else that might work aside from chemicals?

Thanks!

Default Re: Rabbits, Lots of Rabbits

Maybe Animal Control can help? call the city to find out.

Can't say if the repellant will work because it's works by smell. By the time they dig under the fence on to your side, they're there. Unlikely the repellant will hurt dogs. It's not a poison. The dog may not like the odor, but then again it may eat it. (Gotta love dogs) Read the label. The buried wire should be a deterrent, but I would put it straight down a foot or so at the fence line. Good luck getting animal control to deal with rabbits in your back yard.

I probably should have mentioned that my neighborhood has LOTS of rabbits. I see at least a half dozen every day. They are EVERYWHERE, so I think Animal Control would just laugh at me. My thought that "they are cute" is dwindling fast as I try to keep them out of my yard!

I was actually thinking about burying the chicken wire parallel to the ground (flat), but burying it horizontally is a better idea. I only have about 35 feet to dig, so it isn't a lot.

I have a feeling if I use the repellant, I'll go broke buying it every year.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.

You may still want to talk with animal control to see what you can legally do for yourself. You won't likely be able to use poison or firearms to control them, so that leaves repellent (usually a urine or blood based product ) or live capture and release them somewhere else, or turn them over to animal control.

I have a problem with rouge chickens that are taking over the neighborhood, the only thing animal control will do is to take any that I capture myself. Trust me, you haven't lived until you've had hundreds of chickens crowing at all hours of the day and night right outside your bedroom window.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

I used to have wild rabbits in my yard. I got a couple of dogs. My dogs liked rabbit. Then I didn't have rabbits anymore.

Most of the repellants use some type of predator urine such as coyote or dog. Human urine also works so you can make your own repellant and use a garden sprayer to distribute it. Often the dogs will pee over yours so that is even better.

If you bury fencing, you need to go down vertically on your side of the fence. If your neighbor will allow you to dig on their side of the yard, you can go vertically a couple inches and then horizontal for a foot or two, but horizontal on your side will not help.

Rabbits are cute, I really didn't mind them. I have a garden and I'm not really into weeding all the time. The rabbits mostly ate the chickweed and pigweed, then never bothered anything I planted, veggies or flowers. My dogs were "drop offs" that I rescued and they have passed, Now I have a bunch of cats that were "drop offs" that I rescued. I still don't have rabbits but now I have raccoons. Believe me, rabbits are better, they don't try to get into your house.

I used to have opossum, rats, squirrels, moles, stray cats and the occasional raccoon.

Now I have 2 Jack Russell Terriers.

No more critters.

If its moving, its dying.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I used to have opossum, rats, squirrels, moles, stray cats and the occasional raccoon.

Now I have 2 Jack Russell Terriers.

No more critters.

If its moving, its dying.
    I don't have the Jack Russell Terriers or the rats, but I do have all the rest.

If a person has a Puddle, not a Jack Russell - will it do?

A pellet air rifle is technically not a firearm and *may* be legal to use where you live. Check with your local authorities, then make a nice fur coat for your significant other. (Rabbit fur is super-soft.) Rabbit stew for supper!

Always be aware of what's behind your target, treat every gun as loaded (whether it is or not), and never point a gun at something you don't want to shoot.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 06-25-2014 at 05:15 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.