+ Reply to Thread

Question Newby question: Acoustic tile and Ply Bead a good mix?

I'm trying to fix up my little cottage on a budget; the bedrooms in my '35 home have acoustic tile glued to the ceiling. I suspect this part of the house was added at a later date (rooflines, quality of materials) which would explain why there is a "beam" running across one ceiling.

Can I attach Ply Bead to the ceiling? I think it has to run perpendicular to the joists, I'm hoping I can find it in 12' lengths. Do I have to take off the tile first? (I don't want to do that!)

The tiles are ugly and do not meet nicely at corners, so definitely need to disappear. Ideas and advice greatly appreciated!

Also: How thick should the Ply Bead be?

Default Re: Newby question: Acoustic tile and Ply Bead a good mix?

For joists run at 16" centers I'd want to use at least a 1/2" material, anything thinner will sag over time. And I'd want the tiles off first so that the new wood was attached directly to the joists. Leaving the tile will allow some unwanted movement, will allow for moisture to accumulate there if anything ever leaks, and removal will be easy if a bit dusty. Do it right or you'll wish you had when you're repairing the new work later!

I'm not sure if the product you're considering is available in 12' lengths, but many plywood products are if you special-order them. They will have to be made for you at the plywood mill, not taken from some warehouse, so they will cost a good bit more. That may take a month+ lead-time so look into it before planning a start date. And calculate materials well since any extra needed will be another month+ in coming if you're short!

Phil