+ Reply to Thread

Default all old siding needs to go, but I can't do it all at once. any suggestions?

My house has the old lapboard siding (partially rotted about 2' up) under the newer vinyl siding. Not sure what the stuff is, because it looks like old fiberboard (glued sawdust). there is no sheathing behind it, and the vapor barrier the previous homeowner used has disintegrated. So, what I have basically is stud, lapboard, plastic/aluminum wrap, vinyl.

I know that I should take the old siding all of the way down, sheath with OSB, then a layer of rigid foam insulation to seal the air leaks (I live in Louisiana), and then hang the vinyl. But since I am having to do this a little each week, are there any suggestions to mitigate the air loss while I do this? someone suggested using 0.5" rigid foam behind the siding (added from the inside) while I am already putting in new fiberglass insulation because there are major voids in the walls, and just replace the bad lapboard with the OSB. Would this work?
    Last edited by MsFixIt; 06-05-2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: trying to add photo

Default Re: all old siding needs to go, but I can't do it all at once. any suggestions?

1. removing the fiberboard is a must. Remove it all, not just the rotten parts.

2. Working from the outside, the order should be:

- fiberglass insulation with the craft paper towards the inside.
    - Plywood (not OSB for your area known for excessive humidity and rain), Check with your local building department for the type of plywood (how many strands).
    - 2 layers of 60 minute tar paper (it's thinner than roofing felt), or 1 layer of house wrap.
    - siding.

Again, your bldg dept can instruct you what is the min required and fastening methods.

Default Re: all old siding needs to go, but I can't do it all at once. any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    1. removing the fiberboard is a must. Remove it all, not just the rotten parts.

2. Working from the outside, the order should be:

- fiberglass insulation with the craft paper towards the inside.
    - Plywood (not OSB for your area known for excessive humidity and rain), Check with your local building department for the type of plywood (how many strands).
    - 2 layers of 60 minute tar paper (it's thinner than roofing felt), or 1 layer of house wrap.
    - siding.

Again, your bldg dept can instruct you what is the min required and fastening methods.
    dj1:

- found out there was no sheathing because I was installing the insulation. Installing new insulation because I found moisture/unwanted house guests. So yeah, fiberglass insulation with the vapor barrier toward the interior. But with the lap over the open studs, moisture and "friends" are still an issue.

my question wasn't about how to install in terms of layer. I have all the requisite info I need from my code dept. My question is about how to do it over the course of several weekends (and all summer as this will be a one wall at a time job). I am a single mom and will not go into debt to fix this.

So, I am thinking that I need to start on the left hand corner, place the 0.5" foam in the cavity first before the fiberglass. this way the rigid will work as a temporary sheathing to mitigate air leakage and help with the pests while I remove the old lapboard from the outside to put on the actual OSB sheathing. That was the question. Will that work?
    Doable?
    Last edited by MsFixIt; 06-05-2014 at 06:34 PM.

If you discovered moisture, halt the insulation until the moisture issue is resolved.

To do a project like this over a long period of time, let me suggest to do one wall at a time. Corners should have extra house wrap (about 12") to cover the next wall to form a water tight corner.

Your plan will work, and once again I recommend using plywood over OSB.

If I read the OP properly, the lap siding (probably masonite) may be performing the structural anti-racking. The new OSB/Plywood will take that job over, but you will want to be sure enough new sheathing is in place before pulling all the original siding so the house doesn't shift mid-replacement-process. I too prefer plywood in places where moisture and/or humidity is present, which means most of LA. Check with the local building code department if near the coast- there are specific nailing patterns and fasteners required in hurricane zones. While the walls are open, you may also want to add reinforcements (if needed) to tie the structure to the foundation from the top down. Cost for that should be minimal compared to all the rest and your home will end up much stronger than before which will add to it's resale value if done correctly and documented. It may also lower your insurance slightly too!

Phil