+ Reply to Thread

Default Rod hole leaking in basement wall

We bought this house a little less than 4 years ago and have never had a leak in the basement until last week. I usually do a routine check of the basement after the first or second rain of the season (we live in Michigan). My husband dried up the carpet and took down the drywall to find the leak where we discovered what looks like an empty rod hole. Clearly, the previous owner had patched up the rod holes next to the leaky one, but he seems to have used something that looks and feels like caulk or putty. It's soft to the the touch and my nails leave indentations in it.

Question Number 1 - How do we fix the leaking rod hole? What material should we use and how do we go about doing it?

Question Number 2 - Is it ok to leave the already patched up rod holes as they are? None of them are leaking...

PS. I can't seem to figure out how to attach pictures... Will add them asap.

Default Re: Rod hole leaking in basement wall

I would patch it with a cement base sealant called Thoroseal.

The other patched holes don't leak? leave them alone.

To post pics, upload them to an host like photobucket and give us the link.

Thanks for the advice...

Here are a few photos of the hole and the previously patched up holes.

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/ncolah/profile/

Thanks for quick reply. Here are some pictures...

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/ncolah/library/

In one of the Q&A's on the website regarding a leaky basement, Tom Silva had suggested in the written up answer that when fixing a rebar hole (snap tie) we should chisel away a hole about 1/2 inch deep and a couple of inches wide and then use hydraulic cement. would you recommend the same if the hole is currently 1/2 inch in diameter and quite deep in the poured cement.

From the pictures you have all are leaking just not gushing. Dig out and fill with hydraulic cement.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    From the pictures you have all are leaking just not gushing. Dig out and fill with hydraulic cement.

Jack
    Agreed- a "one and done" permanent fix. Do it when the holes are dry as any leakage may create channels in the patch until it sets, leaving you with having to dig out the new cement to fix!

Phil