+ Reply to Thread

Default redoing bathroom tile

Is it possible to repaint or cover ceramic bathroom tile. I do not want to have to take out the tile as it covers 2.3rds of the bathroom.

Default Re: redoing bathroom tile

Yes, you can re-tile over tile, but there are drawbacks:

1. It will add thickness to the tile work.

2. The other option of course is to remove the old tiles and clean everything down to the studs - which enables you to inspect and improve the framing, check for leaks, check for mold, add insulation, do plumbing or electrical changes and more. But with what you want to do - you can't do all these.

Why the need to cover it up? Too much tile, old, hideous, bad color? You could probably get it enamel coated, which will look the best and give you a durable finish.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Though I've never tried it, one knowledgeable painter I know says that tile can be painted if it's scrubbed clean then primed with XIM before the finish coat is applied. He tells me that under hard pressure only, his putty knife was chipping the paint away but not the primer on a trial he ran after doing this the first time, and that seems to be about as good as you can get with paint coatings.

Unless the ciolor os awful or the tiles coming loose, I'd recommend cleaning and re grouting if that's needed. Tiles are as good a wall surface for baths as there ever was. The John Bridge Tile Forum can clue you in on the best way to work with anything tile.

Phil

There is nothing wrong with the tile, it's a bright yellow that's hard to tone down even with painting the walls muted colors. I thought I had seen an episode on this old house about repainting tile and hoped that someone remembered it.

If there's nothing wrong with the tiles now, postpone your replacement plans for another day in the future and enjoy.

The only concern is waterproofing.

There are several products with can be painted on the old tile which will make a great surface for tiling again. Mapai makes one. I forget the name.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The only concern is waterproofing.

There are several products with can be painted on the old tile which will make a great surface for tiling again. Mapai makes one. I forget the name.
    I've used Redgard on old tiles. 2 coats.