+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Roof flashing fix needed

I must be missing something. From the pictures I would consider it accurate to say that this isn't the neatest job that could have been done, but I see nothing there that tells me it is actually defective.

Quote Originally Posted by eman View Post
    I must be missing something. From the pictures I would consider it accurate to say that this isn't the neatest job that could have been done, but I see nothing there that tells me it is actually defective.
    What's missing is: metal flashing, BEHIND THE SIDING and OVER THE SHINGLES.

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by eman View Post
    Neatness is a sign of a quality job, so if it looks bad it is bad even if it happens to be effective anyway. You're paying a contractor for results, not excuses. I hope you're not in business with the rest of us who have commented here, for our standards are much higher than to leave behind something like this expecting to be paid for it. And dj1 is correct, which explains why there was a problem in the first place.

Phil

My understanding was it's common for shingles to go over the bottom leg of the flashing for aesthetic purposes, meaning you will not see that part of it sitting on top of the shingles and you will not be able to tell at a glance that there is flashing there unless you eyeball things really closely.

This is how the flashing is installed on my house. The siding cuts are cleaner but otherwise it looks like that. Top part is behind the siding, the bottom part is underneath a layer of shingles. Unless you pull up a shingle and look underneath you won't see any more of the flashing than is visible through the gap between the shingles and siding. Hence my opinion that I am not sure we have correctly identified the problem if we are only assuming there is no flashing because we cannot see it.

If anybody in this thread should be questioned it's probably not me, but rather the guy who is telling him to put flashing up there and seal it with roofing tar which will only add to the time and expense when it gets fixed correctly.
    Last edited by eman; 06-18-2014 at 02:39 PM.

"If anybody in this thread should be questioned it's probably not me, but rather the guy who is telling him to put flashing up there and seal it with roofing tar which will only add to the time and expense when it gets fixed correctly..."

That would be me.

As I see it, eman, you don't care if water gets under the shingles (when you shingle on top of the flashing), but you do care about how it looks. Well I hope you have a good roofing felt under your shingles, but even the best roofing felt won't last more than 15-20 years.

Flashing on top of the shingles or tiles and under the siding or stucco - is the way we do it around here.

"step flashing" is a more discrete way to hide the flashing under the shingles.

Who said anything about shingling on top of the flashing. The step flashing is installed over the primary layer of shingles and another layer of shingles goes over the bottom edge to blend it into the roof. Functions perfectly, looks good, and satisfies homeowners who don't want to see an ugly strip of medal all along the roof/wall intersection. Done all the time around here. My own step was installed this way and has done the job ever since I have owned my home. Most of the homes on my street have it the same way.

If I didn't care about the functionality of the roof I would tell him to seal the flashing down with tar which will need to be maintained and re-applied periodically to prevent leaks, and which will just add to the expense of the correct repair when it is eventually done.
    Last edited by eman; 06-20-2014 at 04:22 PM.