+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding a push bar to screen (storm) door

We installed a new storm door with large opening (not full length opening). It's great in the cold months as the window lets in a lot of light. But when we have the screen installed people tend to push on the screen to open the door. I'd like to install a push bar across the screen to keep it from being destroyed. It's a high quality vinyl door (Harvey, I think) so I am trying to figure out how to add the push bar without it looking too tacky. And I want to be able to add it on so that it is very secure and doesn't fall off all the time. I've thought about adding a decorative metal grating to the bottom of the screen. Seen this type of grating in the hardware stores - comes in big sheets. I think that something more like a simple bar may work better. Looking for advice on what to use and how to attach it securely. Thanks.

Default Re: Adding a push bar to screen (storm) door

I think a simple pair of gate handles will do - one on each side, secured by long enough bolts and nuts.

Get yourself a wrought iron picket, cut it to length, paint it, then pre-drill and install it with sheet metal screws.

You'll probably have to go to a wrought iron company to get the piece of material, they may even have end caps to dress it up, if not, pay them to weld the ends or to crimp the ends closed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

How about a piece of several inch wide heavy Plexiglas cut to size and screwed into the door. Polish the edges and it would be visually blend in, giving a finished look.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    How about a piece of several inch wide heavy Plexiglas cut to size and screwed into the door. Polish the edges and it would be visually blend in, giving a finished look.
    You don't polish plexi-glass, you heat it with a torch and melt it - CAREFULLY - and the edge will all but disappear.

Note, you should sand and/or shape the edge to the desired profile, then simply heat it with a plumbing torch to melt the cut surface to a glass like surface. You have to be very careful, as it doesn't take much heat to do the work. If you are unsure, do some test pieces first to get a feel for it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Simplest would be a 1X4 sande3d smooth and painted to match. Or if there's enough space you might use a stout towel bar of the correct width- actually anything that spanned the gap would work and not block the screen much. Whatever you choose, watch the location so that you don't intersect the doorknob when both are closed

Some older screen doors used to have "hardware cloth" installed to protect the screening- that's the soldered galvanized square grid wire with 1/2" or smaller holes (different size holes are available). Kind of hard to find these days but it protected well while not impeding airflow and it looked good too. I just don't get it why people push on a screen. I got my hide tanned as a child for that so I know better Maybe it's not taught anymore!

Phil