+ Reply to Thread

Default Using AZEK (PVC) boards to build screened porch panels

We are having a screened porch built over an existing slab. The 6x6 columns will be wrapped with AZEK column wrap. I will be building the screen panels 40" x 90" and I would like to use AZEK boards (1x4 for top, sides, middle and 1x6 for the bottom) to eliminate maintenance and rot. I am thinking about 1/2 lap joints or pocket screws and PVC glue for either. I see that there are PVC biscuits available so that could be an option also. I'll mount stops on the columns (glue or screw) and screw the panels to the stops.

Has anyone worked with AZEK material or any other PVC trim in this fashion and if so is there any advise you might give?

Thank you for your time in advance

kb

Default Re: Using AZEK (PVC) boards to build screened porch panels

Azek is not cheap, make sure you cut it the right way. "Measure twice cut once".

one thing to keep in mind is that Azek does not have the rigidity of wook. for instance, if you're using 1x2 running down the sides of the screens that are 90" long with a piece of 1x2 going across the middle to help hold the shape of the screen square....it won't stay square. when you stretch the screen tight over the azek and staple or fasten it, the sides will bow inward. in theory it's a great idea but depending on the size of your screens it might not work out unless you have a way to secure the length of the rails and stiles.

1 X 4 might be OK to control bending but, I would be concerned how much the PVC will expand/contract with season change. I could see using a mixture of wood with PVC on the bottom or maybe build a sample to see how it will weather.