+ Reply to Thread

Question I so need help with my rubblestone/fieldstone foundation

I am looking for the name of a product that was used on one of TOH episodes. The team was working on a house that had a rubble stone/field stone foundation. They dug it out and put a mortar in that actually makes it water tight. Anyone know what the product is?

My problem is that I am a new home owner. The house was inspected in the winter. It was noted that the grade of the soil around the house needed to be re-graded as there are some low spots. It is now the end of May and we have had rain. I went into the basement this AM and found standing water. Mostly on the south side of the house, but some on the North. The North side was the side that needs top soil brought in and grading done to improve drainage. A friend and I went out and looked at the storm drains. Most of them run out to the street underground and have a diverter lever that switches them to fill an in ground cistern. It is a really neat set up with the exception of the water in the basement. We found where some of the drains were plugged up and dug them out to make repairs.
    But my main concern is that if the grading and the clean out and repairs doesn't work, then I will have to dig out the foundation and I would really like to use the mortar that was used on the one episode. Please help. I'm so frustrated with this latest development.

Default Re: I so need help with my rubblestone/fieldstone foundation

I haven't seen the show you were talking about, but I've used mortar called THOROSEAL before with good results. It mixes like mortar and can be applied on the exterior with a brush. You will need to cover the entire foundation to stop any water.

I saw that as well, but can't remember the product name either. A local stone and brick supplier will probably know what you need and have it in stock. Groundwater as deep as a basement wall will deve3lop a lot of pressure at depth so unless the leaks are small re pointing from the inside isn't the answer. You need to control the water from outside the house and apply waterproofing there if grading and drainage changes aren't enough to solve the problem.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    I saw that as well, but can't remember the product name either. A local stone and brick supplier will probably know what you need and have it in stock. Groundwater as deep as a basement wall will deve3lop a lot of pressure at depth so unless the leaks are small re pointing from the inside isn't the answer. You need to control the water from outside the house and apply waterproofing there if grading and drainage changes aren't enough to solve the problem.

Phil
    Thanks Phil, I am on the hunt for loads of top soil as there are some grading issues. I understand that re-grading might not help and that will mean digging the foundation out and applying this special mortar. I am not looking forward to that if it has to be done.

Thumbs up Re: I so need help with my rubblestone/fieldstone foundation

I found the product that I was looking for. It is Hydraulic Cement. There are several brands out there, TOH uses Quickrete Hydraulic Cement. I have not looked for this brand yet, but the others come in a 10lb tub. Quickrete may come in a bag, like their other products, for larger jobs.