+ Reply to Thread

Default Interior door with lock for small opening

In my vacation home have a loft area that I want to use as storage. Because I rent out this house I want to be able to install a door with a lock to prevent tenants from entering the storage area. My problem is that the opening to the loft area is narrow and tall. Someone suggested an accordion door but I don't see how I am going to be able to lock that type of door. A pocket door won't work either as the entry way is on an angle with the wall. I'm considering a custom made door but worry that a door frame would make the doorway even more narrow than it currently is. I'd even consider some type of door or gate with a padlock as long as it secures the area and looks okay. Looking for suggestions on what type of door would be best for this project.

Default Re: Interior door with lock for small opening

Install a cabinet door with a drawer lock style of lock. The door frame would surface mount to the wall, thus not affecting your opening dimensions.

Any cabinet shop can build you a door and provide a locking mechanism, you can install it yourself with hand driven nails.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

What's wrong with a piece of thick plywood, cut to size, mounted with hinges, complete with a padlock, but w/o the jamb?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What's wrong with a piece of thick plywood, cut to size, mounted with hinges, complete with a padlock, but w/o the jamb?
    In my mind, aesthetics, other than that it would work just fine. That's why I recommended the locking cabinet door.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

My opinion. It's a waste of time. Having dealt with some rental properties, a locked room is an invitation to curiosity.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    My opinion. It's a waste of time. Having dealt with some rental properties, a locked room is an invitation to curiosity.

Jack
    Ditto this. Unless you have a super-secure way of locking it (several deadbolts and a strong frame system) then someone is going to try to 'take a peek just to see what's there' The only alternate is to go ahead and show them what you're storing, then as you lock it up tell them that everything in there has been documented with pics and serial numbers recorded for the police if needed- and that any damages to the door and frame will come from their pocket.

Phil

We will only be storing small stuff that we don't want to hall back and forth - nothing of real value. The lock will keep out most people. And for those who damage the door or lock that's what damage deposits are for. We've opted to buy a birch panel from local lumber store, cut it down to the size we want and use some heavy duty hinges to attach it. We're using a padlock to lock it. The birch panel has a nice look to it so we can either stain it or paint it. It's a bit more sturdy than plywood.