+ Reply to Thread

Default Grounding to water meter

I have a ground running from the electrical panel to the cold water pipe just before the meter. The ground wire does not jump the meter & my house has failed inspection.

My questions are:
    Can I splice the existing wire with an additional piece to reach past the meter or do I have to replace the entire wire to reach past the meter?
    If so, is there a special connector that needs to be used to connect the wires?

Default Re: Grounding to water meter

Quote Originally Posted by therealdusk View Post
    I have a ground running from the electrical panel to the cold water pipe just before the meter. The ground wire does not jump the meter & my house has failed inspection.

My questions are:
    Can I splice the existing wire with an additional piece to reach past the meter or do I have to replace the entire wire to reach past the meter?
    If so, is there a special connector that needs to be used to connect the wires?
    There are special connectors and methods to extend the GEG (grounding electrode conductor) but they require a special crimper or mold to make them "irreverseable". So, if it's not too long a run from the electrical panel to the cold water pipe it may be easier to just run new #4 bare copper (#6 is OK if "not subject to physical damage).

Be sure to use a waterpipe connector on the CW line within 5' of where it enters the house.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

I think instead of paying excess money in buying connectors and other things you should replace complete wire.

Where I am, grounding to water lines is a no-go; the preferred method being dual ground rods outside as near to the meter as is practical. You'd already have the needed wire and those connectors are relatively cheap. Most electricians drive 'em in with a rotary hammer. Someone set up for this would be done in under 30 minutes and time is money! Check with the local inspector, but perhaps you can run a separate jumper from pipe to pipe across the meter, thus grounding your side of the system.

Phil

we can't ground to the water line either

While metal water lines should be grounded, the proper way to ground the service is with prperly installed ground rods. The advent and use of PEX has made the water lines an unreliable ground source.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Another vote not to use the CW pipe, even if your local code allows it.

Per 2014 NEC Art. 250.52
    Any of the following electrodes which are present in a structure must be bonded together to form a grounding electrode system:
    Metal underground water pipe (if at least 10 ft are buried outside) in addition, at least one other of the methods listed below must be used/installed
    Metal frame
    Concrete encased electrode
    Ground ring
    Ground rods (if present 2 are generally required)
    Plate electrodes
    Other local underground systems or metal structures
    Except: Aluminum electrodes or metal underground gas piping
    Local jurisdictions may adopt, modify or reject the NEC
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content