+ Reply to Thread

Default Is this the House Ground? And What happened?

The other day my son said he heard a gun shot. Today I noticed this

http://i.imgur.com/Z0m44i7.png

It seems to look like the ground. But what would cause it to pop like that? Is it dangerous? And who should I be contacting to get it fixed?

Thanks!

Default Re: Is this the House Ground? And What happened?

I cannot tell what this is from the picture. I see pieces of metal but offhand it does not look like the ground to me. You need to get someone out to assess what has happened.

From here it doesn't look like wire, but steel cable instead. Is this at the edge of a concrete slab structure? To me based on this pic it looks like a failed pre-stress tension cable in a concrete casting which can be a serious structural problem based on the location and loading. They're set during casting under thousands of pounds of tension and do sound like a gunshot when the cable snaps. Until the concrete sets, a snapped cable can be lethal to the yard workers making pre-stress concrete castings

Give us pics showing the location relevant to the whole structure and any more details you can find.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by John freeman View Post
    I cannot tell what this is from the picture. I see pieces of metal but offhand it does not look like the ground to me. You need to get someone out to assess what has happened.
    True, it could be a failed cable or even lightning or surge caused a grounding electrode to explode in the concrete.

In any case a good electrician and possibly even the power company may need to get involved.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

That looks like a post tension cable failure.

From my desk anyway....

I'm thinking post-tensioned cable failure as well. You'll probably need an inspection by a structural engineer.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.