Quote Originally Posted by Loreen View Post
I preferred one contractor over the other only because of the way he spoke to me when walking through the house. I had no doubt both were competent and reputable.
Hiring a contractor is all about compatibility, are you going to get along well together, and do they make you feel confident in their knowledge and workmanship? I always say that choosing a contractor is a lot like getting married, you don't rush into such things, you want to make sure you're choosing the right person, because, in the end, choosing the wrong person (contractor ) can be a very expensive mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreen View Post
. . .They stayed true to their final bid amount so I knew exactly what I owed.
You got lucky on the bid being the exact cost, as well as the contractor willing to negotiate his price. There is no difference between a bid and an estimate in this trade or any other. For the work described in writing, the contractor is telling you it will be XX amount. If he runs into an issue that was not foreseen, then he will issue what is known as a change order to accommodate the extra work. Sometimes, depending on how much extra and the integrity of the contractor, they may or may not charge you for the extras.