+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Emulating Mazda Bulbs, looking for correct spray paint champage color?

Title speaks for itself! I would like to use some bare-bulb fixtures and find a good spray paint as faithful in color and opacity as the old big round bulbs, or even some smaller ones.

Opacity is the key here as I don't want to trap too much light with a heavy coat.
    Thank!

Default Re: Emulating Mazda Bulbs, looking for correct spray paint champage color?

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalocity View Post
    Title speaks for itself! I would like to use some bare-bulb fixtures and find a good spray paint as faithful in color and opacity as the old big round bulbs, or even some smaller ones.

Opacity is the key here as I don't want to trap too much light with a heavy coat.
    Thank!
    I've never heard of a paint for light bulbs and wonder if regular paint would peal or burn.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Default Re: Emulating Mazda Bulbs, looking for correct spray paint champage color?

There's some companies out there that sell these in either amber/red (think candle sconces) or champagne, reproduced in old style.

I've used xylene paint markers to color regular bulbs in the past and they've never flaked under the heat

Regular paints will flake off or overheat the glass causing it to crack or shatter I don't know if it's still made but they used to make "Bulb Dye" in various colors for the automotive market and I have used it on incandescent house bulbs to good effect. JC Whitney had it back then but no longer carries it so all I can suggest is googling.

Phil