+ Reply to Thread

Default can a GFCI outlet share a box with a duplex?

i will be protecting a chain of outlets in my unfinished basement through a GFCI in the first box from the panel. must that GFCI be in its own box? i would like to put a duplex in that box also but that will mean using 3 wire pigtails (1-load screw on GFCI 2-duplex sharing the box 3-wire out to the next box on the chain)

the schematics on the instructions dont show this type of setup.
    is this ok?
    BTW-using 4"sq boxes 2.25" deep

thanks

Default Re: can a GFCI outlet share a box with a duplex?

If the regular duplex is gfci protected or not, the wiring is the same no matter how far apart the recpticles are

Yes, a GFCI will fit into a 2 gang box with a standard receptacle.

Not sure what your wiring issue is, your supply line comes into the line side of the GFCI, all downstream outlets attach to the load side. If you have more "load" pigtails than the GFCI has connection points, then you bundle them all together with a wire nut and pigtail it into the load side of the GFCI.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toh409 View Post
    i will be protecting a chain of outlets in my unfinished basement through a GFCI in the first box from the panel. must that GFCI be in its own box? i would like to put a duplex in that box also but that will mean using 3 wire pigtails (1-load screw on GFCI 2-duplex sharing the box 3-wire out to the next box on the chain)

the schematics on the instructions don't show this type of setup.
    is this OK?
    BTW-using 4"sq boxes 2.25" deep

thanks
    As others have pointed out, electrically, there should be no problem. Since you need 3 cables to the load side boxes boxes (5/15 post box fill calc is as follows:

(8) #12 conductors count for: 18.0
    (2) devices count for: 9.00
    (all) grounds count for: 2.25
    (all) box clamps (if any) 2.25
    .................................................. ...
    31.5 used

Since you be filling the box to 31.5 cu in. and the box only allows up to 30.3 cu in., you have a problem unless it's a 15A circuit using #14 wire.

If it's a 20A circuit you can gain the 1.2 cu. in you need by using a raised cover, on the 4x4 box, rated at least 1.2 cu in.

BTW, this question would be great for an electrical exam

I would suggest using a decorator style receptacle alongside the GFCI receptacle because it's cheaper and easier to find than a deco/std cover.

Also, each downstream receptacle will have to be labeled "GFCI Protected". Labels come with the GFCI.
    Last edited by The Semi-Retired Electric; 05-18-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: read OP's earlier post, for more info
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content