+ Reply to Thread

Default Water Backup in Basement Sink

I have a 100 year old home with a wash tub in the basement. I noticed water backing up in to the sink and am not sure why. I believe running water in the kitchen sink upstairs may be causing it as it happens simultaneously. Any ideas what the connection could be between the two? Thanks!

Default Re: Water Backup in Basement Sink

The connection is very simple: both the kitchen sink and the basement sink share the same drain line, and your stoppage in the line happens after the two join together.

To free the line, snake it from the basement sink. Don't have a snake? call a local plumber for help.

Another thing to check is the vent that goes out through the roof, to make sure it's free of leaves and debris.

It actually ended up that the water was coming from the washing machine, which I guess is normal. Thanks!

Is your washing machine draining into the basement sink?

There is nothing normal about water backing up.
    John

Update:

The water draining from the washing machine to the same pipe as the sink was normal, but the backup was not. It turned out to be roots in between the house and the main sewer line. We found out after a sewer backup cost us about $10k. I think if we had caught the backup sooner, all the mess could have been avoided.

Luckily sewer backups were covered in our insurance policy. I understand backups are not commonly covered in standard insurance policies, and may require a rider. After our experience, I'd recommend making sure you're covered for sewer backups, because a $500 deductible is much easier to swallow than a $10k repair/restoration bill.