+ Reply to Thread

Default waterproofing or run

I'm looking to purchase a house constructed in 1939. Everything looks fine but there appears to be water damage in the basement. We've looked into whether to actually waterproof the basement (trench it, repair foundation, etc) or "bandaiding" the problem with a indoor waterproofing with a sump pump. So any info on those would be great to know but the real question I have is that apparently the foundation isn't Cement blocks but ceramic and could be extremely expensive to fix. What is this ceramic foundation? I can't find any information about this kind of foundation and the con's of having a House constructed as such.

Default Re: waterproofing or run

I have never heard of ceramic block. Are you sure that it's not cinder block?
    John

It may be Terra Cotta or Clay tile this product was used in thr 20 's & 30 's

Actually glazed structural block is still being made and used today. It has a hard time competing against glazed concrete block like Spectraglaze because of the price difference. The actual glazed and fired surface of the tile units is more durable and colorfast than the cmu product which really has an epoxy coating. The ceramic block doesn't cut easily as opposed to concrete block.

This doesn't answer your question very well. I don't have much experience with them other than seeing them in older buildings. I believe structural ceramic block are still made. If I were going to waterproof the block by excavating and applying a membrane, I would call in an expert contractor and/or consultant to be sure it was done properly. That could be hard to find today.

Having lived in such a house, I'd run.

WHy sign up for the headaches ?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Having lived in such a house, I'd run.

WHy sign up for the headaches ?
    Ditto!

Unless you LOVE old houses and all that comes with them, WHY would you knowingly take on those kinds of headaches? While "new" isn't always better, you don't have to settle for antiquated either.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

All proper basement waterproofing techniques are on the outside of the structure- anything inside of that is water mitigation; handling the water without solving the reason it's entering the structure- which still leaves the structure vulnerable to damage. If you love the house and the price can be negotiated to allow for proper waterproofing then you're set. Get at least a few estimates and if any of the contractors suggests that they can do the waterproofing from the inside, dump them and try someone else.

Phil