+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default What to do about old faucet holes when updating bathroom

We have installed new shower hardware in an old bathroom, and the new faucets are mounted above the bathtub. Any suggestions on how to fill the old faucet holes in the tub? Or perhaps some sort of cover to mount on the surface?

Default Re: What to do about old faucet holes when updating bathroom

Beer tap!

Ok, how about shampoo dispenser? Other than a plain chrome metal cap I'm not sure.
    Proud to be suburban free.

What is the wall material? Fiberglass? Tile? Swiss cheese?

If fiberglass, you can call a fiberglass repair person. I've seen some do amazing repairs to damaged tub surrounds -- you can't even tell it's been repaired. If you can't find one, check with some boat shops. Fiberglass & resin is a common material for boats, so most boat repair shops have someone they can call in for that specialized repair.

If it's tile, the proper way is to replace the tile.

If it's Swiss cheese, patches are available in the dairy case of your local supermarket. They can be applied with a little heat; that will melt them into place.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

The holes are in the tub, not the wall (see original post). I have been told since I originally posted the question to use bondo, then finish with one of the finish products available on line for scratch repair, etc. It's an old cast iron bathtub, that has been in the house since the 30's.

There are caps or covers ideal for faucet holes. I had the same problem before but only it was my stainless steel kitchen sink. Just ask your hardware store for such product. They should know about it.
    Last edited by marf1273; 08-17-2009 at 05:05 AM.