+ Reply to Thread

Default Repairing peeling drywall where it meets plastic shower enclosure

Looking for advice on what would be the best way to repair peeling drywall. It is peeling where it meets up with the plastic shower wall. Is there any kind of home repair tape similar to duct tape that I could use to seal this junction? Replacing the drywall is not in the budget right now but I want to do something to keep it from becoming a larger problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jackie B.

Default Re: Repairing peeling drywall where it meets plastic shower enclosure

Could you clarify - Is the paint peeling off the drywall, or is the drywall itself deteriorating?

If the paint is peeling off, then moisture is getting behind it - probably behind the drywall and so the paint it is peeling off. Eventually this will deteriorate the drywall too - and you may see mold growth too.

Are there any cracks in the caulk of the shower enclosure or anyplace that water could be leaching over to the drywall? If this is a moisture issue, you will need to solve that because new drywall will fail too under moist conditions.

You need to improve air circulation and ventilation in the bathroom while taking hot shower/baths. If you have a window, open it and if you have a fan, run it - otherwise this problem will continue to bother you and may even develop into mold issue.

I believe it was a caulking issue that started the problem. Just wanting to do a temporary fix for now. It is the paper on the drywall that is peeling, an area about 18 inches long and 1/2 inch tall. We are planning a remodel when the budget allows but for now would just like to put something to seal the area to prevent further deterioration and/or mold. Wanted to put a barrier down before recaulking the seam. Doesn't have to be pretty just watertight.

Thanks again for any advice you have.

Jackieb

I had a slow leak from a pipe damage the drywall in my finished basement – like you just a small area, but long and narrow. I bought a drywall repair kit at the hardware store. It had a long piece of mesh tape (fiberglass, I think – its been a while) a small pouch of drywall mud and a plastic flat thing like a wide putty knife to apply the mud. I removed the loose part of the drywall and used the patch – just followed the directions. It was really very easy and looked good when it was done. I had never worked with drywall or drywall mud before. (It worked so well I went on to fix a bigger issue in another part of the house.) Afterwards, I painted the patch with a good primer and matching paint. In your case I would use a good gloss or semi-gloss paint to repel moisture.

This may seem like more work than you want to do, but it was inexpensive and easy. Patch the peeling part and re-caulk. I know from experience that “when it’s in the budget” sometimes is a longer than expected. Use a patch and it will look almost as good as new and be more structurally sound than a cover-up. Also, afterward keep an eye on the caulking and be sure they moisture problem has been solved.

One of the construction guys here might have another idea.

Smile Re: Repairing peeling drywall where it meets plastic shower enclosure

Thank you Lily for the info. Sounds like something that will work and look good too.

Appreciate the advice.

Jackieb