+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for exterior ideas

The side of our house facing the front and the street has some beautiful windows, but it also has a bare area in the center that has an ugly pine tree growing up to cover it. There is a vent from a gas fireplace in the center. The pine tree is now taller than the picture shows, now roughly the height of the fireplace vent.

We're looking for ideas of how to mask or make this area look more appealing. Any thoughts/ideas great appreciated!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Default Re: Looking for exterior ideas

I don't see why you want to hide the house. The house is very nice, don't hide it behind trees and bushes.

what dj said
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Looks fine to me too. I wouldn't try to hide it.
    Only thing I might do would be to paint the trim some other color than white.
    Last edited by ed21; 05-16-2014 at 10:15 AM.

I think that your eye is being drawn to the vent and “bare area” because you are used to looking at your house, while anyone else sees the lovely windows and design. I used to have a spot I though was also too bare, but after I did some minor landscaping, I found my eye was no longer drawn to the “bare area”.

I cannot tell from the picture how far it is from the ground to the white siding or what landscaping is there. You might want to plant a few foundation plants. An arbor or trellis that would extend partly into the “bare area” would draw your eye away from the vent. Get an arbor or trellis that is architecturally attractive to add some design element when it is winter and the trellis can be clearly seen. I do not know your sunlight situation there, but I have had good luck with growing different time blooming (spring / summer / fall) Clementis on my arbor. You local landscape /greenhouse store could advise you on what would be good for your area.

There are several articles about trellises and arbors on TOH website. Also, look up trellis and / or arbor on places like Pinterest to get some ideas.