+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Door sag

Default Door sag

My exterior door leading to the basement had a little sag, the handyman fixed it and it was perfect. The problem was the handyman said let me fix it "better" . Steel frame, wood door, and 2 barrel shaped self closing hinges, although the door does not self close. Shims were added, but at this point I'm thinking he added them to the wrong place. And now he's asking me how to fix the door. I know it worked before. I think I need to do fix myself or pick up the door every time I enter through it. Please, I don't understand those hinges and how to fix.

Default Re: Door sag

"Self closing" hinges are spring loaded. Just go to the hardware store and pick up one. It will come with simple instructions.

Unless you absolutely have to have self closing hinges, I would recommend that you replace them with regular hinges. Regular hinges should not give you any trouble.

I was thinking of replacing the hinges but not sure it would make any difference. Thank you for your suggestion, as it gives me reason to try. Can you think of any reason self closing hinges might be necessary?

Self closing doors are sometimes code (from a living space to a garage for instance) and sometimes convenience (from a kitchen to a dinning room for instance).

Let us know how you did.

I will let you know how it goes. My handyman used liquid nails which is causing a gap between hinge and door. I was embarrassed to mention that before, as I let him do it. I need to be more informed before I let anyone do anymore work in my old house. And I need to find a new handyman. Lesson learned, again......

Use a wood chisel to clean off that glue.