I'll join Ordjen as a contrarian too. As with asbestos, the amount of danger involved with lead paint is over-hyped. The studies which started the ball rolling were on children, whose systems are much more open to lead poisoning than adults, actually chewing on surfaces painted with the stuff. Of course some was ingested, and of course that was and is an issue. But nowhere have I see evidence that simply touching or handling these surfaces is an issue- even in children. Now I wouldn't want it to touch food so I'd use the glass top, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep the kids from chewing on it and you'll be fine. If you're still worried then add a clear coating over it- problem (if there was one) solved for sure. Nothing can touch the lead paint now!