+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: making lead paint safe with out removing it

I'll join Ordjen as a contrarian too. As with asbestos, the amount of danger involved with lead paint is over-hyped. The studies which started the ball rolling were on children, whose systems are much more open to lead poisoning than adults, actually chewing on surfaces painted with the stuff. Of course some was ingested, and of course that was and is an issue. But nowhere have I see evidence that simply touching or handling these surfaces is an issue- even in children. Now I wouldn't want it to touch food so I'd use the glass top, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep the kids from chewing on it and you'll be fine. If you're still worried then add a clear coating over it- problem (if there was one) solved for sure. Nothing can touch the lead paint now!

Phil

I would be glad to add a clear coating on the surfaces and then add a glass top too. Exactly what type of clear coating, that will seal the lead paint surfaces, does anyone recommend?? thanks!

I have seen this done but not done it myself - the Polycrylic by Miniwax. All loose paint has to be removed first or it will fall off even with the Polycrylic on - anything covering loose paint will fall off when the loose paint falls off. Some ladies in the home deco blog world do this to their chippy paint furniture finds. The blog world is fun for ideas - but the advice is not always expert - just one DIY to another, so keep that in mind.

They use Polyacrylic instead of polyurethane because it yellows less over time.

For example: http://missmustardseed.com/2011/01/top-coats/

Scroll down to where she talks about Polycrylic.

Thanks for all your advice everyone! I think that I will choose caution and not use my lead painted door for a kitchen table. I think I will try the Polyacrylic on it and find a place to display it. I will also remove it whenever my grandchildren come over Thanks much!

I don't think you need to put it away when the grandchildren are over - as long as they don't like to chew on furniture and as long as paint isn't falling off of it for a child or pet to crawl through. You are more likely to hurt yourself carring a large door around