+ Reply to Thread

Default worried about inhaling dust today :(

I just vacuumed our unfinished basement with our shop vac. I didn't realize my husband had removed the filter and now that means I was inhaling all the dirt and dust while vacuuming for an hour

Default Re: worried about inhaling dust today :(

Not much you can do after the fact but to close the door on the basement and not return for a few days to let the dust settle back out of the air.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Last winter I was vacuuming out a dirty basement un-used fireplace to get it ready for an electric insert and did the same thing – turned around and saw a room full of ash and dust. Then there are the times I am going to sweep just a corner of the garage and get a little more ambitious and realize I am standing in a cloud of dust. Nothing worse happened then a worsening of my allergies for a few days.

Unfinished basement dirt and dust is like regular household dust – just more of it and if there is damp, it could have more mold spores – mold spores are every where. If you are healthy without any lung problems like asthma or immune problems you should be fine. Our immune system is a great thing. You may notice an increase in allergy like type symptoms and I’ve gotten a sinus headache, but no lasting damage. I am much better now about having a dust mask handy whenever I clean something dirty. Hubby is a lung doc and I still have to remind him to put a mask on when sweeping out the garage

thank you both so much for responding, appreciate it so much

Live and learn.

I always run my shopvac outside before using it inside to be sure it's not doing this. I'm trying to clean dust up, not redistribute it! You'd be surprised just how far a little bit of air-blown sheetrock dust can go inside a nice, clean house- you won't be surprised that it takes more time to clean up after that one time than it does to check the shopvac first every time you need it.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    I always run my shopvac outside before using it inside to be sure it's not doing this. I'm trying to clean dust up, not redistribute it! You'd be surprised just how far a little bit of air-blown sheetrock dust can go inside a nice, clean house- you won't be surprised that it takes more time to clean up after that one time than it does to check the shopvac first every time you need it.

Phil
    Oh, don't even get me started with sheet rock dust!!!!!

Suffice it to say, I put up all the tarps that were possible, took all the precautions possible, and I STILL had to clean the entire house afterward! This is after my client complained that there was dust on everything, so I went in while they were on vacation and had the place cleaned to within an inch of it's life, and there was STILL dust floating around!

Word to the wise, there is going to be dust if you play with sheetrock!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Oh, don't even get me started with sheet rock dust!!!!!

Suffice it to say, I put up all the tarps that were possible, took all the precautions possible, and I STILL had to clean the entire house afterward! This is after my client complained that there was dust on everything, so I went in while they were on vacation and had the place cleaned to within an inch of it's life, and there was STILL dust floating around!

Word to the wise, there is going to be dust if you play with sheetrock!
    Yup, and that's why it is specifically stated in my contracts that while we will do our best to mitigate it, the customer understands that all construction work generates dust and debris and that the contractor will be responsible for only one thorough clean-up after the job beyond the maintenance cleaning done during the work which is specified elsewhere.

I hate the legalities and I do my best, but I have to cover my behind or I will lose it so crap like that goes into the contract and makes it ten times longer than it should be. I clean better than almost anyone around here does- folks love me for that- but I run a construction business, not a cleaning business, so don't expect perfection in my cleaning (or hire someone to handle that yourself- I won't be insulted if you do).

Phil