+ Reply to Thread

Default leak can't be located

Hello I need some info on best way to locate why and where water is coming from. When it rains sideways water comes in and around window -sill. When it rains straight no water to be found and after snow melt there is no water to be found. There are some loose bricks around perimeter of roof after replacing the roof. How do I find out the real problem? Thanks for helping

Default Re: leak can't be located

First two things I would check because they are the easiest and simplist:

1) If the exterior sill is wrapped in aluminum trim, make sure that trim is intact. Be sure that there is no gap where the top edge meets the sill, and that it is folded over and sealed at the sides to keep water out of the edges. And if there is a gap at the top edge and caulk was used to seal it, make sure the sealant is fresh and in tact. Ideally the trim should be installed in such a way that it butts up the window frame or goes a little underneath it so water won't get in there even if there is no sealant. But sometimes it doesn't get done this way. If the trim is installed after replacement windows have gone in, if it can't be butted tightly enough against the bottom of the frame, it will be sealed in with caulk, which then has to be monitored and re-applied periodically. Either that or if the window people had to remove the trim while doing the install they may have taken the path of least resistance to get it back on and caulked the same pieces back to the bottom of the frame rather than re-folding and detailing new ones as needed.

2) Look underneath your window frame. On every storm window there should be at least two tiny holes at the bottom of the frame. They are referred to as weep holes. Water getting past the outter-most window sash will happen in strong rain, that cannot be avoided. What happens is there are holes in the bottom of the frame inside which will allow that moisture to drain out to the exterior of the house. Sometimes they get clogged with dirt and dead insects. Some times well-intentioned souls looking to improve the weather-tightness of the house bury them in caulk while going over the rest of the frame, or paint over them while doing touch-ups, meaning that if conditions are perfect for water to make it into the window, it will be trapped in the bottom of the frame. Then when it builds up for awhile it overflows and makes its way into the interior when it would normally drain to the outside.

If this is only in wind-driven rains I would be looking around the immediate area of the window first. If it happened during normal rain coming straight down I would start looking for issues above the window.
    Last edited by eman; 05-20-2014 at 02:19 PM.