+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Smelly Kitchen Sink

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    FWIW we ONLY install 1/4 turn ball valves.
    Me too, far less failure rate, easier to use, last longer, so worth the effort.

With a standard valve style (twist and twist and twist to open/close ) I follow the same regimen as Mastercarpentry, and that is to open them fully, then back off 1/4 turn, or so. This prevents distortion of the stem washer, it also gives you room to "fine tune" a valve stem that wants to leak because it's been moved out of its "sweet spot". Another trick is to carefully tighten the stem nut ever so slightly, this squeezes the stem washer a touch more and usually makes the seal.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I use all kinds, forever twist or 1/4 turn, compression, sweat or male adapter - whatever I have in the van, In fact I have a habit of replacing angle stop when I feel that they are going to malfunction.

I had some problems recently with 1/4 turns from Plumb-Well, a few of them leaked. Maybe it was a bad run. I switched to Eastman, and they seem a little better.

I'm not of the mind to always replace stops; this goes back to not fixing what ain't broke. But if it's giving problems or seems that it will then I'd rather replace while I'm there than have to deal with it later when it couldn't stop a flood when it needed to. I always upgrade to 1/4 turns where needed and haven't had a problem with any yet- maybe I didn't get any bad ones. I can recall seeing only one of those that needed replacement because of a small drip at the stem.

The world is different today where most people have no tools to use nor the knowledge of how to use them to turn off utilities where they enter a house The newest homes usually have easily accessible hand-operated valves for this. Those who own older homes should always have the needed wrenches to turn the water and gas off just in case, and all the adults in the house should know how and where to use them. Emergencies tend to happen when there's nobody handy to help so it's best to be ready for them yourself; then something as simple as a stuck stop won't become a disaster when it doesn't have to.

Phil

I would clean my disposal with ice cubes and soap. Throw a bunch of orange or lemon peels in there as well to clean it and make it smell nice.

If none of these help, though, are you sure it's coming from the sink? You could have an old iron stack in your wall that's cracked.