+ Reply to Thread

Default Front Porch Gate

We are currently searching for options to instal a front porch gate that goes between two large brick columns that stand on either side of the entrance to the porch. I have seen a fair amount if 'gate kits' ****** for sale, but none seem to mention the ability to mount into the brick, most are designed to mount into an already existing wood railing.

I am curious if anyone knows of a product that exists that with match the other existing railing, or how I could go about installing a gate kit securely into the brick columns.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Front Porch Gate

Mounting into masonry isn't too much different from mounting to a wood anchor. What you will have to do is drill a hole into the masonry and install an expansion insert for your fasteners to screw into. Now, the type of insert you use will be different depending on if you're going into brick, mortar, or concrete, but the process is still the same, drilling a hole (with a carbide bit), an insert, and then fastener to hold whatever you're trying to hold in place./
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

While this job seems fairly easy, if it's done wrong, you'll have nothing but trouble with the gate.

The gate will need enough support to keep it leveled and secure. Not sure how to do it? call a contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Mounting into masonry isn't too much different from mounting to a wood anchor. What you will have to do is drill a hole into the masonry and install an expansion insert for your fasteners to screw into. Now, the type of insert you use will be different depending on if you're going into brick, mortar, or concrete, but the process is still the same, drilling a hole (with a carbide bit), an insert, and then fastener to hold whatever you're trying to hold in place./

thanks so much for the advice.
    I had read somewhere that someone recommended filling the drilled out hole with a masonary adhesive prior to inserting the anchor, do you think this is recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    While this job seems fairly easy, if it's done wrong, you'll have nothing but trouble with the gate.

The gate will need enough support to keep it leveled and secure. Not sure how to do it? call a contractor.
    i was considering hiring someone to instal if it looked like something I might not be able to manager on my own.

I was also thinking about adding a 3rd middle hinge in addition to the top and bottom ones that will be mounted into the brick... Do you think this is a wise move for added reinforcement?

"I was also thinking about adding a 3rd middle hinge in addition to the top and bottom ones that will be mounted into the brick... Do you think this is a wise move for added reinforcement?"

It depends of the width and weight of the gate. Under 3 ft wide, two heavy duty hinges will be enough. On wider gates, installing a wheel will help in preventing sagging.

To answer your previous question: visit a masonry supply outlet and get their opinion on what kind of expanding adhesive to use when placing the anchors in the bricks. It depends on some info you didn't provide.

Yes, using an adhesive with the anchor would be advised, not an absolute necessity, but certainly advisable. By using adhesive, the anchor and brick become one solid unit, as opposed to just using wedging force alone, which can damage brick because it is a fairly soft thing. Also, you want to set your anchors in the brick itself, not in the mortar joints.

I agree with DJ about consulting with a masonry supply for adhesive recommendations. An actual supplier, not one of the big box megaliths who really don't know anything about what they sell.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!