+ Reply to Thread
    Betsy Guest

Default daybed or convertible for living room?

I'm an NYC apartment dweller, and my guests sleep in the living room. I need a new couch that is either a convertible or a daybed. The big, hulking, pull-out couch won't do, as it takes up all the room, and it's unwieldy--I have to move too much furniture to open it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for manufacturers or stores or websites that make stylish and functional daybeds or convertible couches?

Default Re: daybed or convertible for living room?

Hi Betsy,
    Have you looked at this website?

www.charlesprogers.com

Do you want wood or wrought iron, Betsy? I like the idea of a daybed, because you can dress them up or down depending on your design preferences at any given time. You can also get a trundle for it if you routinely have more than 1 guest. Just a suggestion.

Fran

If there is one in your area - IKEA has some great options. Their furniture is typically designed for smaller European spaces. I have the same problem in my small space. I purchased a daybed with a trundle underneath. The trundle pulls out and pops up. It ends up being like a king size or two twin beds. The daybed makes a great couch for the living room. Wonderful for watching TV and I love that I can make it really cozy with lots of fun pillows.

Good luck
    Pat Keithan

I have a day bed in the spare bedroom. Although it can be used for seating, it isn't as comfortable as a recliner or couch. But with the trundle underneath it can comfortably sleep two. A Futon or click clack makes a more comfortable seat, though still not as comfortable as a chair or couch but they usually compromise sleeping comfort.

So the question is, which will it be used for the most, sitting or sleeping? And how long do you want to encourage your guests to stay?

Lightbulb Re: daybed or convertible for living room?

You might consider an adaptation to a futon. Instead of the back and seat coming out to a flat position the arms lay down. Either arm could recline giving the space a perfectly designed fainting couch. Both arms down would provide a very stylish sofa.

The choice is up to you. If you're looking for modern choose a convertible. If you're looking for old world charm, a day bed is a good choice. Multiple guests would suggest a trundled bed.
    Storage needs would suggest a captains bed or a sleigh bed with 2 head or foot boards and extra pillows, allowing for storage beneath the bed.

One more idea:

I have a love seat with a matching storage ottoman. Turning the ottoman perpendicular to the love seat there is plenty of length to sleep and width to sleep. The key to this in my opinion, the ottoman does not slide easily, the feet are upholstered and will not slide on my carpet at all.
    Debby in Oklahoma

We use this daybed as a sitting/sleeping solution in my daughter's bedroom:

http://www.decorsouth.com/listing/casey-daybed-white/

I dunno how well it would work in a living room, plus it may be a bit traditional for a New York apartment -- but it's been a great find. We love it!

LL Bean has a slip cover that fits over a twin-sized bed (mattress + box spring on a regular metal bedframe) to convert it into a daybed. They have large matching cushions for the back. It became my favorite "couch" to hang out on & when we had an overnight guest, I just pulled off the slip cover and cushions. LL Bean is usually not my style, but I chose the denim blue one with white piping. I think it comes in a few other neutrals & a striped option. You can add extra throw pillows for any look. It's great for tight spaces because there are no arms.