+ Reply to Thread

Default furnace pipe vibrates when water is running

hello all. this started a few weeks ago and now it is driving us nuts. we have hot water baseboard heat. the problem is that when any water source is on, i.e. washing machine filling or flushing the toilet, the pipe that feeds hot water out to the baseboard will vibrate to the point where you can feel it through the kitchen floor (basement is below kitchen). once the water source is done or turned off the pipe will quite vibrating. when you go to the basement and hold the pipe when it is doing this it will still vibrate but not as loud or hard as when your not holding it. this is driving us nuts. it does it on both hot and cold water. please help.

Default Re: furnace pipe vibrates when water is running

Try these: 1. install water hammer arrestors. 2. clamp the pipe tightly.

Agreed. And the sooner the better: that's not just annoying it can damage the pipes and solder joints.

I have tied up every pipe in the basement and it is still doing it. I have determined it is the return pipe going to the furnace and seems to be every pipe in the basement. the out pipe with the pump on it does not buzz, it is all the other pipes in the basement. when I place my hand on the out pipe it is all quiet but when I place my hand on all the other pipes I can feel the buzz coming from them.

You need to install a water hammer arrestor. If you don't know what it is, read about it. If you don't know how to install it, contact a plumber. If you have some DIY knowledge, find out about this and see if you can do it.

Clamping the pipes is half the battle.

ok where would you place it. I know that it does not buzz when using the dishwasher, kitchen sink and the bath tub. all other faucets it will buzz when open. do you put it on the main line or on every line.

First attach them to the washing machine faucets. Get the kind that screws on the faucet, then attach the washing machine supply lines, hot and cold. These devices are relatively inexpensive and e-z to install.

If the noise continues, install more on toilet supply lines, water heater, etc.

ok thanks. any idea why this would start now. in the 10 years we have been here it never done it and now it does it a dozen times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by lspencer001 View Post
    ok thanks. any idea why this would start now. in the 10 years we have been here it never done it and now it does it a dozen times a day.
    No idea why it should start now. But when it happens, deal with it.

It could be that in the original piping they added air chambers above where faucets and feeds "Tee" off. These will be out of sight in the walls, and act as hammer arrestors being normally filled with air above the water. In time these can fill with water causing what you describe. If this is the case in your house, the simple cure will be to turn the water off to the entire house, disengage the boiler's heart source, close off it's intake and outlet valves, open the lowest faucet (often outside). then going from the top down opening every faucet and flushing every toilet. When that lowest faucet stops dripping, turn the faucets off, reopen the boiler valves and reset it's heat source, and turn the water supply back on. Doing this drains any water in those hidden air chambers and allows them to fill with air again.

If you need to do this more than annually, you need to start looking for a leak. It may be tiny and stay that way or it could grow rapidly. It was the best they had before specially made hammer arrestors came out and is a more common problem that you'd think as the tiniest opening in a solder joint will let that air escape, even if the leak is so small it won't pass water!. It's the cheapest plumbing repair possible and it's worth a try before spending money.

Phil