+ Reply to Thread

Default Doorbell keeps going out

Hi, I need some help. Several weeks ago the doorbell on my house went out. I replaced both the chime unit and the transformer, after which the doorbell began working. Several days later, it stopped working again. Again, I replaced the transformer and the chime unit and it began working again. Now, it has stopped working again. What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

Default Re: Doorbell keeps going out

I hate to ask but have you checked the doorbell button?
    When my doorbell has stopped working it's usually because rain or moisture has gotten into the button causing it to stick in the "pushed" position. (I need to stop buying them at the dollar store).

Was it perhaps raining both times it went out and dry when you fixed it? It's possible that by the time you replaced the chime and transformer the button had dried out.

You can easily test this by taking off the button and touching the 2 wires together. If that fixes it, replace and/or seal the button.

If the chime and transformer truly are bad then of course that's another story and a potentially bigger problem.

Hey--

This is happening to me too. I've replaced the transformer, doorbell, wiring, and button. It usually goes out within minutes. The circuit does not trip, and it keeps continuity. Incidentally, I chose a buzzer-style bell by Nutone available at any box store for less than $10. I don't seem to have a problem with the ding-dong types.

Help! I have spent $800 on two electricians and weeks of work myself to get this frustrated!

Quote Originally Posted by rldunville View Post
    Hey--

This is happening to me too. I've replaced the transformer, doorbell, wiring, and button. It usually goes out within minutes. The circuit does not trip, and it keeps continuity. Incidentally, I chose a buzzer-style bell by Nutone available at any box store for less than $10. I don't seem to have a problem with the ding-dong types.

Help! I have spent $800 on two electricians and weeks of work myself to get this frustrated!
    Alot of those nutone systems restrict the length of conductor between the door and the transformer due to excessive voltage drops, could be because the transformers are prone to failure under even light voltage drops.

First I would check the obvious, the connections t all points, then as xyxoxy said the button, moisture and also if the whole isnt just right that the button sits in it will get hung up and stick closed even when it appears open.

Some of the nutone bell kits also have different wiring configuration options (some even a wireless option) in that case triple check that the little jumper on the end terminals is either added or removed as needed

Make sure the tranformer your using is the right voltage a lot of transformers are "multi tap" meaning they serve different voltages based which 2 screws you attach the wires to.

Come to think of it there are alot of ways for a doorbell to be misinstalled. Don't assume its right because an electrician did it. Make a drawing of how its wired, button dong and transformer, label all the wires then compare it to the instructions.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content