+ Reply to Thread

Default NEW Toilet for Old House

My house dates to the 1890's. When the toilet was removed we found a lead closet bend attached to a cast iron pipe. Nothing is cracked. The Floor Flange is cast iron as well. I have had two plumbers in to give me opinions. They say the lead pipe has to come out. The cast iron pipe is in the wall and very difficult to cut in that position so they recommend that I have the wall below the toilet in my pantry opened up so that they can cut the cast iron pipe there and replace it with PVC pipe. They will also cut the same cast iron pipe where it extends into the basement so they can start the PVC pipe there. I understand from my carpenter that cast iron pipe is very heavy and they may need to go up to the third floor as well. As this seems extreme I am looking for alternative suggestions.

Thank you.

Default Re: NEW Toilet for Old House

Remove the lead bend from the cast iron hub the install a donut to change over to PVC.
    https://www.plumbingsupply.com/flexi...html#donutseal
    John

Second that. Cast iron pipes are a lot quieter than PVC as well.

Has anyone said why the cast iron has to go? PVC is easier to work with, but unless there is something irreparably wrong with the cast the trouble of demo'ing and repairing the walls and floors to get rid of it will outweigh the cost of doing a few repairs to the cast.

Far too many tradesmen want to do things whichever way is easiest for them. This is not the right way to be thinking. One must take everything into consideration and do what is best even if it makes your part of the job harder. "Right" always beats "Rapid" in the long run and if you're not willing to put whatever effort is required into your work, it's time for you to find another career.

Phil

Thank you for your reply. I will see about getting another opinion from a different company that has more experience with older structures.