+ Reply to Thread

Question Transom Window on Garage/Living Area Wall

As a townhouse owner, my family room is dark, having no windows within its boundaries. The back wall of my garage is adjoining to the front wall of my family room. The garage door has windows that allow light into the garage. Has anyone installed a transom window on the adjoining walls to allow natural light inside a room? If so, was it a successful trial at allowing natural light inside your home, coming from the light through your garage door windows?

Default Re: Transom Window on Garage/Living Area Wall

Building codes will not allow a window from the garage to a living area unless it is possibly fire rated.
    I doubt the amount of light you get would be worth the effort.

Your townhome is badly designed without a window in the family room.

Try recessed lights.

Smile Re: Transom Window on Garage/Living Area Wall

Thank you, guys. And I agree, this townhouse plan isn't the most desirable plan. However, there has to be a solution to every problem if we research long enough.

Look into Solatube and solar fiber optic lighting. I've installed a great many Solatubes, they are a great and inexpensive way to get natural lighting where you want it. There are other brands out there besides Solatube, but IMHO, their quality isn't nearly as good, and if you're gonna punch a hole in your roof, you want the best possible product for the job.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!