+ Reply to Thread

Thread: interior doors

Default interior doors

would like to ask the best way to patch a hole that the door stop put through both sides of the bath room interior door.

Default Re: interior doors

there was a recent thread about this, do a quick search and you will likely find it
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

The repair is called door replacement. For the time and hassles and finished product, it's not worth trying to patch, just replace the door slab. I'd also recommend replacing the doorstop to a spring style and mounting it on the door where it will contact the baseboard. A hinge style doorstop will work as well, but these are extremely hard on the hinge and door, especially in a household with kids.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I tend to like the round, cushioned wall mounted stops that contact the door knob.
    Assuming a hollow core door, if you use the same stop, position it so it contacts near the door edge where there is solid wood. That may only be an inch or so at the bottom and side.
    Last edited by ed21; 05-07-2014 at 02:51 PM.

While I understand what Spruce suggests, not everyone is capable replacing a door. As a landlord, I'm familiar with these problems, holes, scratches, nails, picture hangers - door holes can be repaired the same way as holes in the drywall, with mesh, mud, primer and paint. Material cost: negligible, and your time: a few minutes a day for 3-4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    I tend to like the round, cushioned wall mounted stops that contact the door knob.
    Assuming a hollow core door, if you use the same stop, position it so it contacts near the door edge where there is solid wood. That may only be an inch or so at the bottom and side.
    ed21

you got the best solution , I went to home depot got two of them and placed one both sides of the door to cover the holes total cost was only $6.36 and to boot the color matched as well. thank you for your out put this was sure cheaper then replacing the door . my mother is handicap and she fell onto the door causing this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by atfencing View Post
    ed21

you got the best solution , I went to home depot got two of them and placed one both sides of the door to cover the holes total cost was only $6.36 and to boot the color matched as well. thank you for your out put this was sure cheaper then replacing the door . my mother is handicap and she fell onto the door causing this to happen.
    Well that was thinking outside the box.
    A quick story about those springy door stops with the rubber tip. When my oldest daughter was about two her mother screamed for me to come. My daughter had a funny look on her face and mom said she just swallowed something. As I opened her mouth I saw the white rubber tip lodged in her throat. It took me a few tries, but I was finally able to get my finger behind it and pull it out. Probably not the recommended thing to do, but it worked. I didn't have time to be scared until it was over.
    She's getting married this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Unfortunately, I've seen plenty of "knob stops" shoved through the wall, even with lightweight, hollow core, interior doors. The only time these really work is if the knob stop happens to land on a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    While I understand what Spruce suggests, not everyone is capable replacing a door. As a landlord, I'm familiar with these problems, holes, scratches, nails, picture hangers - door holes can be repaired the same way as holes in the drywall, with mesh, mud, primer and paint. Material cost: negligible, and your time: a few minutes a day for 3-4 days.
    You're not allowed to disagree! LOL I see the OP was able to overcome the problem with ed's suggestion. Accidents happen, let's hope momma stays safe.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!