+ Reply to Thread

Question Building a deck near a rock quarry

I plan to build a 20' X 30' deck on the side of my house. I live near a rock quarry. There is occasional blasting at the quarry. This blasting causes my home to shake a little, but in almost eight years of living here the only damage my house has sustained is three drywall nails have popped out. I have been planning this deck for about two years. I have consulted the local codes department but they could not answer the two SPECIFIC questions I am about to ask. I have asked these questions on several other websites but all I get from anyone is general information about deck building, or links to general information. I do not need or want any more general information. I have two SPECIFIC questions that require two SPECIFIC answers. Considering my proximity to a rock quarry my questions are:
    1. Should the deck be attached to the house or should it be free standing?
    2. Should the columns/posts be in a post hole embedded in concrete, or should they be atop concrete piers? Either way the columns/posts will be built so they are NOT touching the ground.

Please consider my proximity to a rock quarry before answering. Also, if you do not have a SPECIFIC answer for these SPECIFIC questions, then please, please, PLEASE do not respond. Please forgive my bluntness, but I am sick and tired of getting answer, after answer, after answer, after answer, after answer that has nothing whatsoever to do with my questions. Thank you.

Default Re: Building a deck near a rock quarry

1. Should the deck be attached to the house or should it be free standing?

the deck should be attached to the house per local building codes with the appropriate lag bolts driven into the sill plate. it wouldn't hurt to attach some earthquake clips for additional support.

2. Should the columns/posts be in a post hole embedded in concrete, or should they be atop concrete piers? Either way the columns/posts will be built so they are NOT touching the ground.

the posts should be attached by simpson strong ties to the concrete piers per manufacturers instructions. it would be smart to have the bolts put into the concrete during pouring instead of anchors drilled into the concrete after it sets.

all of this should be inspected by the building inspector during his rough and final inspections

The occasional shaking from blasting isn't much of a concern. My house way out in the burbs has had more nail pops than you without any blasting.

I would prefer carriage bolts to lags at the band board. The through bolts are required by many codes because water can get into the lag bolts and cause rot and eventually fail. Securing the deck to the house also gives it additional lateral stability.

Decks can be freestanding per code. Most people attach to band board because there is more trouble making pier foundations next to the house and it's less expensive.

Question 2 I agree with MLB
    Last edited by ed21; 05-07-2014 at 07:47 AM.

You would build it to modern seismic standards (to withstand an earthquake), which is one of the things that your local building codes most likely address. Blasting at the quarry is no different than an earthquake.

As long as you build according to code your deck will be just fine. Construction methods will include attachment to the structure (to avoid separation between the deck and house during a seismic event or due to settling or other earth movement) and posts bolted to concrete piers that extend to mineral soil below the frost line, and a minimum of 18" depth. If you are concerned about movement, go deeper. Drive piling if you are really paranoid.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Next time, come to this forum to save time and don't bother with all those other websites.