+ Reply to Thread

Thread: House addition

Default House addition

I am putting a small(12x20) 2 story addition on my house. I had a contractor state he was going to use the trench that was dug for the footer as the form for the footer. I have a permit, and he is going to use rebar. I was just wondering if this is common or should I look elsewhere for a contractor. I'm in Ohio if that matters.

Default Re: House addition

As long as he follows the approved plans, you'll be OK. Any shortcuts or any deviations from the plans might cause the inspector to fail you, causing delays and increasing the costs. When plans call for re-bars, then you want to see re-bars in the forms, and so will the inspector. You pour only after the inspectors OKs it.

If this contractor is the only one who has given you an estimate, you may want to talk to more contractors, to compare apples to apples.

There really isn't a problem with using the trench as a form. The footing, however, must be on undisturbed or properly compacted mineral soil (clay) and not on humus (decomposed matter). Placing on humus will result in settling.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Trench-footings are fine. Do be sure they are deep enough (frost heaving) and that the soil is suitable. Also be sure that the new footing is tied in with the existing structure so that it cannot separate. This is usually done by drilling into the existing footing and epoxying the new rebar into it so that the entire house foundation acts as one piece. If the cost isn't an issue you might consider making the new footing 50% wider to compensate for possible settling differences- the old house has already settled and the new part will want to. In really good soil this isn't necessary but anything is only as good as the foundation it's built on so....

Phil