+ Reply to Thread

Default How to preserve 130+yr old pencil written on wood

In renovating our circa home we found a note written in pencil on the wall boards behind the lath and plaster. States the name of the contractor and year (1876) and that the house was lathed for $12 but the job was worth $20 and they lost money. We have framed around it and would like to preserve it but what can we put over top of it to bring out the writing more?

Default Re: How to preserve 130+yr old pencil written on wood

Not to be a smart a**, but I'd call the Smithsonian. I am quite sure someone at the preservation dept will know

How about an LED light string behind a frame that's wired with a dimmer?

Covering it with glass would protect it from fingers, dust and dirt, but wouldn't help with visibility. UV light is likely to darken the wood so the writing will probably be less visible over time.
    I would take some good photos of it. A little experimentation with lighting and setting should bring out the writing. Then print and frame.

A local museum can point you to someone who can help- either a document or painting conservator should have the best answer for you. This is history so don't chance an amateur solution; the right one will probably cost very little so will be well worth it!

Phil