+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shower faucet

Default Re: Shower faucet

I doubt there is a shut off value to this particular faucet. The whole, as you can see, is just enough to fit the valve. In fact, I had to chip away a few pieces in order to have enough room to remove the retaining clip. I bought this house a year ago, and i think the bath was remodeled couple years before that. Based on the fact that the size of this hole, I would guess the remodeler was too short sighted to design so that it is serviceable.....

Also, the other side of the wall is the master bath.

I had nearly the exact same experience you are having trying to remove a Moen shower faucet cartridge. When you pull on the cartridge, you may need to provide an opposite force against the valve body to avoid damaging the tile work -- pulling the valve body against the back side of the wall can crack the tile. In my case, it took a TREMENDOUS amount of force to break the cartridge free.

Do not pry or hammer against the portion of the valve body where the slots for the retainer clip are. You'll bend it out of shape if you do.

I opted to replace the plastic cartridge with a brass one. I have an aversion to plastic faucet parts, but if your water is corrosive a brass cartridge may not be suitable. Make sure that all o-rings or seals on the replacement are well lubricated with faucet grease before installing.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Go the the plumbing store and buy a moen 1225 b cartridge. It will have a white tool that fits over the body. then twist in either direction and the cartridge will be loosened enough to remove with a pliers. Then install the new cartridge , then retaining clip. If the hot and cold are on the wrong sides rotate the spindle 180 degrees.

before replacing the new cartridge, turn on the water to flush out the lines

Quote Originally Posted by bill shack View Post
    Go the the plumbing store and buy a moen 1225 b cartridge. It will have a white tool that fits over the body. then twist in either direction and the cartridge will be loosened enough to remove with a pliers. Then install the new cartridge , then retaining clip. If the hot and cold are on the wrong sides rotate the spindle 180 degrees.
    That is a posi temp faucet it requires a 1222 cartridge. And he will need the puller to remove the old cartridge.
    John

I am afraid that I could end up pulling out the stem, leaving the cartridge body stuck inside the pipe. What would I need to do if this happens?

The stem is the cartridge.

If you can't pull the cartridge with the cartridge puller, then call a plumber, or better yet, replace the shower body. Some brands are inexpensive and will come with a brand new trim. This time go with Delta/Peerless.